Canada-PNW Day 4, Banff to Golden, BC
July 8, 2010
– 5:20 AM. Bright outside. Up, ready, pack bike.
– Fuel. Hwy 1A upon Armando’s recommendation. Elk? Yes. Bear? Yes. Nice road? Yes.
– Lake Louise – Group photo. Awesome vistas! Say goodbye to Hyder group. Ride to Lake Moraine. Walk to ice melt falls.
– On to ice fields. How far is it? Fueled at Lake Louise. have to turn around at 80 miles to make it safely back.
– 75 miles. Ice fields. Wow. Never been at a glacier… Met Stan, Bus driver from Nova Scotia. Talked bikes.
– Hawaiian with vest of patches. Been to Texas, and showed me his patch.
– Walk up to glacier. Gasp for wind. Head down.
– Turn back on 93. Breathtaking vistas everywhere. Just point camera and randomly shoot. Great temperatures, sunny sky, lots of ice!
– Going down in elevation, fuel at Lake Louise again? Wow, great mileage. Go for Golden, BC. Dang, more road construction. Hot. What’s up with that?
– Ride into Golden. Fuel. Enter address of Kicking Horse Hostel in GPS. Discover that no street names exist in GPS. Dang. Ask around. Vague directions. Try to find Station Ave. Ask again. Hear that Mary’s Motel is good. Fine. Done.
– Hungry. Golden Taps Pub downtown sounds good. Sandwich. Fernie Pale Ale. Might as well support their economy since I canceled my reservation there.
– Open mic night for bands. Even a couple from France with accordions. That’s different, and great.
– Tired. Gotta write this up.
– Heading for USA tomorrow. Getting closer to picking up Deb on Saturday.
– Good night…
Photos still accumulating here – https://photos.app.goo.gl/6jfr2ijzAXRCGRsc8